Thursday, December 2, 2010

J's mini cupcakes

I'm taking these cupcakes to preschool in the morning. I kinda wish I was duty parent just to see them all sing Happy Birthday.

J's birthday is this weekend.

3 years old. I can't believe it's been three years since I had a baby.

Three years our family has been complete.

Now that J's three we no longer have a high chair, bibs, infant seat, rocker, crib, bouncer or exersaucer. No play-yard, wraps, slings, bottles and baby foods. We no longer buy diapers and change tiny sheets and blankets. Wow.

There is a part of me that wishes I could have these years forever. I can pick my kids up, cuddle them and fix all of their problems. I can surprise them with treats and new adventures every day. I am their favourite person and the one they call when they are upset. Their perspective on the world is endearing and beautiful. I already know how much I will miss these years.

On the other hand its a miracle to see them grow each day. To see the progression of a childs artwork, to see them think through complex problems. To see there reaction to new social norms. When I see my son tell a joke and laugh I am fascinated by his intelligence, his vocabulary and the energy, interest and dedication he has to learning new things everyday. When my daughter comes home from school speaking a new language I am stunned by the ease with which she picks this up.

I just need to soak in every minute. And a cupcake now and then to wash it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment