Thursday, June 3, 2010

trampampoline

I know that's not a word but it should be. Try saying it. It's fun.

Okay, I'll get to it. With a little luck I'm signing E up for a Trampoline summer camp at the very fine Spring Action Trampoline Club.

Okay.. and now my rant. Years before my husband and I considered having children of our own we would voice our opinion about how others should raise there kids. (yeah, we're those bastards.. but we focused on one subject) Trampolines.

We saw a documentary.. or perhaps it was a 60 minutes expose? On the growing statistics that link severe childrens injuries with backyard trampolines. Without even looking for it we seemed to come across article after article describing the serious injuries associated with backyard trampolines including this one from the National Post. So our minds were made up. When we had children there would be no backyard trampoline. We still stick by it.

Since having children I have seen many, many more trampolines. Friends of ours bought their one year old daughter an indoor trampoline at Christmas only last year and we had to exercise enormous restraint with our children in the face of such a bouncy and fun toy. In fact, a giant trampoline was just erected in an UNFENCED yard just behind our unfenced yard and gleeful children are calling out to my 2 and 4 year old almost every afternoon. My children will not being going over though. I am sticking to my dislike of backyard trampolines and both my children are quite aware that the punishment for stepping foot in that backyard is coming inside immediately.

That being said. I do not wish to punish my children or keep them from physical activity and sport! So we are going to provide a safe alternative. Spring Action of Ottawa has 6 Olympic sized supervised trampolines with bungee harness training systems. They provide a safe environment with trained staff and don't they just happen to have a summer camp. I'm so happy that I can provide a safe alternative. Yay Spring Action!

No comments:

Post a Comment