Friday, September 18, 2009

fall fun


When I was little we spent some lovely autumn afternoons at a local apple orchard and I was taught the difference between MacIntosh, Spartan, Lobo, Cortland etc... years later I have no idea what the difference is between most of those.. but I remember I loved to pick them, loved the wagon rides and the apple cider doughnut machine.. I could watch it roll little doughnuts for hours.
Once the doughnuts are ready they are put in a paper bag with a mix of cinnamon and sugar and you get to shake up your own hot doughnuts. Sometimes I was even given the special job of Doughnut shaker! Yum!
Now that E & J are old enough I'm hoping to share this orchard with them this year. If you live in Eastern Ontario and want to see some beautiful countryside and fall foliage take a trip out to Mountain Orchards and get some apples or doughnuts.. or both:)
I found this Cider Pound Cake Recipe on there website and I'm itching to try it.


No comments:

Post a Comment